Search This Blog

Monday, August 15, 2011

The Big C

I’m writing this to you especially if you’ve reached the age of 50 or over. A friend asked me to write this for you. Said it could save many lives – because this information saved her life. When I first heard about her situation as second hand news – she’d had 27 polyps removed from her colon. Oh, my gosh.

Later that week Pat and I ran into her and her husband at the theater. She corrected the offhand rumor, her situation was different, but just as dire. Having put off getting her much dreaded first colonoscopy, she finally gave in to her husband’s increasingly urgent requests. The doctor found cancer and removed 9 inches of her colon. Good news – she’s healthy and thriving. Doc said she wouldn’t have lasted 2 more years.

As I listened to her story, I felt fleetingly guilty because I had been so reluctant to get one. Most insurances pay for the procedure. A couple days later at lunch with some girlfriends, the C subject came up. Half had already undergone the procedure, half of us hadn’t. Oh, my gosh – in simple words, I was truly taken to task. How could I be avoiding this simple procedure when I wrote books on HEALTH? Cause I’m a chicken, that’s how.

I went home and made an appointment. My fear and terror grew and grew as my appointment approached. “What if’s” rattled through my brain. The one-day prep was, in a word, unpleasant but doable. The morning of my procedure, Pat drove me to the surgery center and entertained me for a couple hours as we waited. The procedure took all of 15 minutes before I was back in the recovery room wide awake chatting with Pat and my best girlfriend.

The doc came by and whew! remarked that I had the insides of a 12 year-old. Let me tell you, my results are somewhat the result of eating basically well and getting plenty of exercise. But mostly, luck and good genes.

I want luck to be on your side, as it was for me, and my friends. Yes, one friend needed serious surgery, but today she’s enjoying her two granddaughters, a doting and relieved husband, and a terrific and exciting career. So luck was on her side, as was a pushy and devoted husband.

Having a colonoscopy is important. So Just do it. Everyone you know will be glad you did.

Lucy Beale, author
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Glycemic Index Weight Loss Version 2
The Complete Idiot's Guide Glycemic Index Cookbook
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Eating Well on a Budget
801-501-8240

No comments: