Search This Blog

Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Benevolent Boring Basics

Just like you I wish there were a pill that would solve all of my inclinations towards being, well, basically, a slug. I know you’ve wished for one of these, too. You know – the pill that does your exercise for you, that lets you eat whatever you want whenever you want with no undesired side effects, the one that keeps your muscles toned, that fends off the ill effects of not enough sleep, and of too much stress. And while we’re still wishing, the one that instantly changes gloomy days into ones filled with sunshine.


Please, now is NOT the time to send me information on the latest greatest nutritional supplement you sell that promises to makes my slug-ness dreams come true. Alas, the slug pill doesn’t exist. I already know I’m going to be running away from entropy the rest of my life. For those of you who aren’t familiar with entropy and the second law of thermodynamics, it basically states that systems in order tend to go into disorder. Toned muscles today mean less toned muscles tomorrow, unless you exercise tomorrow and the next day and the next day. A clean desk today breeds a messy desk within a week. That is entropy. On this planet, it’s a law of nature.

A dear friend of mine recently had a blood test in which her cholesterol lowered to healthy levels – yeah! But those darn triglycerides are so high she’s at high risk for diabetes. She MUST do aerobic exercise often to run away from this malady. Alas, she’ll be running away from it the rest of her life. I just returned from checking out stationary bikes with her at Sears. I scream inside me – this is so unfair. For a wonderful happy mostly sedentary person to be told that she needs to start doing heavy-duty exercise and, oh, yeah, by the way, cut out all the fats she’s loved eating for a lifetime – cheese and butter and ice cream. French fries and steak. But, no it’s not unfair. Life hasn’t singled her out. We are all in this together and totally alone.

Alone because no one can do your exercise for you. Right now I have assumed responsibility for making sure that 2 people I dearly love get enough exercise. Neither will exercise by themselves – so, yes, I do it with them. This should indicate that I do twice as much as I need to. Perhaps this is actually good for me and some of my slug-ness problem is solved through my concern for loved ones.

I’ve been missing sleep lately because it’s so much fun to stay up late with my husband. But I’ve noticed that my usually friendly moods are more likely to unravel around the edges by dinnertime. My new “rule” (at which Pat merely rolls his eyes) is that I need to be in my jammies getting ready for bed by 10:15 pm except on evenings out. Hey, come on, it’s worked one night so far.

And need it tell you how much I love sugar and chocolate? I found a super brownie pan that looks like a maze such that every brownie comes out with 2 baked edges. Yum, so delicious. But with two people living here, what happens to all those brownies? I usually have Pat take them to share at the office on Monday mornings so I’m spared their annoying chatter as they talk on and on throughout my work days about how good they’ll taste. I’m not even sure I want a pill that takes away my enjoyment of these 2 non-nutritional foods. Yes, I know chocolate is supposed to contain nutrition, but I probably have enough stored up in me to last for the next 5 years.

You may be wondering how I stay thin with all this slug-ness going on inside me. It’s simple. Good genes, never overeating, keeping my metabolism really high through exercise, and not eating the toss away foods I could care less about. I mean, I think of sandwich bread as a wrapping that’s supposed to be tossed, pasta as sticky goo, and dairy products as being made by nature for baby cows and not humans. Just so you know that I’m no health food angel, I love Mexican food, steak, butter, vegetables, fruit, pate, sardines, anchovies, and other foods that may seem in-palatable to you. In-palatable being another word for disgusting.

So the bottom line is that those boring basics are one’s wellness salvation: doing challenging exercise almost daily, never overeating, enjoying the most pleasurable foods in small amounts, sleeping 7-8 hours in a darkened room, and doing the best you can in this increasingly stressful world.

My advice: take those slug pills in tiny doses all day long – exercise, eat enough and not too much, laugh as often as you can, luxuriate in sleep, and find two friends who need an exercise buddy.

Love, light, laughter.

Lucy Beale, author
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Glycemic Index Weight Loss Version 2
The Complete Idiot's Guide Glycemic Index Cookbook
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Eating Well on a Budget
www.Lucybeale.com, http://lucybeale-weight-loss.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

low back pain said...

Thanks for the awesome post. Looking forward to staying current with your blog. Keep it up with your good work. I will share your blog with my friends. Thanks

Obaging said...

Nice post!I had a great time reading through it.Makes sense and fun at the same time.