Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Bikram Yoga results - hot

I never anticipated quantifiable health results from Bikram yoga. But after 5 weeks attending 3 times a week, I have quite amazing results. My blood pressure lowered from 122/83 to 106/63. My heart rate lowered from 72 to 61. All of my "before" readings were in the healthy zone so now they're simply healthier than before.

My most striking results though, aren't in medical numbers. My biggest "wins" are significantly reduced allergic reactions, mellower moods (meaning lower anxiety levels), being more creative, and having more energy. I need to mention, though, that these results didn't kick in until after 5 weeks into the program. Before that I felt weary and fatigued with moments of mental clarity and joy from this moving meditation.

Also, I seem to have more time to be productive even though my entire round trip for a yoga session takes 2 and one-half hours. I'm excited to see what other benefits I'll notice in another couple months of sweating, huffing and puffing, and tolerating the intense stretching in the classes.

No comments: