Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Glycemic Index is healing and soothing- reduces inflammation

Weight Loss, Stress Reduction, Better Skin, Higher Muscle Mass, Lower Body Fat, Lower Inflammation, Manage Blood Sugar Levels, Increase Stamina, Manage Diabetes, reduce the risk of chronic health concerns such as autoimmune disorders, high blood pressure, heart disease, and even cancer. Eating based on the glycemic index offers all these benefits and more. The bottom line on the glycemic index way of eating is that it’s healing and soothing.

What’s not to like about eating based on the glycemic index? Rumor has it that it’s complicated. But that’s only a rumor. In our book, The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Glycemic Index Weight Loss, my coauthor, Joan, and I present two options: Keep It Simple and the Traditional Method. Both work. And they can be combined so that you can tailor a program to meet your lifestyle.

My personal program is to eat vegetables, fruit, meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, nuts, seeds, olive oil, and butter. Then I can afford eat a high-glycemic food, such as a dessert, bread, or a white potato 3 or 4 times a week, usually at dinner. Sometimes I overdo the high-glycemic foods at parties or on vacations. At those times I feel the difference and correct my food selections when necessary.

If you prefer to eat whole grains, pastas, and more starches than I do, then figuring your glycemic load per day is important along with keeping track of your food intake.

Either way, you’re going to enjoy the healing and soothing benefits.

No comments: